The ASSISTments Foundation is seeking a mid-level designer whose focus will be to lead the user experience and user interface design of the ASSISTments platform. The UX Designer will support the next phase of development of a web-based educational technology application intended for millions of students and teachers, improving the future of teaching and learning. This position reports to the VP of Product while also collaborating with various departments across the organization as well as with our software engineers at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. We are looking for someone who is passionate about education, has deep expertise in edtech, and who enjoys working in a start-up working environment. A successful candidate will have an eye for clean and artful design and the skillset to create beautiful, intuitive, and functional user experiences. We seek candidates that are comfortable stepping into a variety of existing initiatives while also enjoying innovation and harnessing new ideas.
The ASSISTments Foundation is currently a small and nimble staff of 18 (and growing) and we share priorities and collaborate with The ASSISTments Project at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where there are approximately 10 staff members and a dozen graduate students who work solely on the ASSISTments project. The ASSISTments platform has been in use by researchers and teachers for many years, but very recently, we’ve skyrocketed our efforts to enhance our product and expand our teacher user base while also improving their experience.
● Oversee the continuing design work for all user-facing aspects/initiatives within Core Product.
● Design the user experience for several new products and initiatives
● Plan and conduct user research at various phases of the design process including both discovery work as well as formal usability testing of mockups and working product.
● Create design mockups representing key user stories.
● Present on and advocate for design decisions and strategy
● Review and refine design mockups in collaboration with other UX Designers, Product Owners, Engineering, our Program Team, and others across the organization
● Represent the design scope of the work and collaborate closely with engineering, Product Owners, and other key stakeholders to evolve design activities and process to make sure they are aligned with business needs, organizational goals, and project schedule
● At least 4 years of UX, UI and/or web application design experience or similar. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments
● Ability to generate creative solutions that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks and to iterate designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently
● Ability to function as a UX generalist contributing to all specialized design disciplines including: information architecture, visual design, user research and testing
● Strong communication skills including the ability to articulately describe design decisions with appropriate data, best practices etc.
● Leadership experience in implementing best practices for design UX and UI solutions, and a deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
● Strong organizational and planning skills to translate creative solutions into a clear and strategic plan and to oversee the successful implementation of that plan in both a supervisory and collaborative role on a team
● A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns
● Strong portfolio to be presented during an interview
This is a full time, permanent position. At present we are a 100% remote organization therefore fully remote work would be the expectation.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The ASSISTments Foundation seeks not just to accept difference - but to celebrate, support and thrive on it for the benefit of our staff, our product and our community. Employment is based solely on someone’s merit and qualifications directly related to their professional competence. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law. The law aside, we also do this because we believe it’s the right way to treat people.
Please take some time to learn more about The ASSISTments Foundation as well as the ASSISTments platform and then send your resume, cover letter and portfolio, if applicable to Careers@assistments.org. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. We seek to recruit a diverse pool of candidates, therefore, we also invite you to submit this optional self-identification form along with your application.