We seek a mid-to-senior-level designer whose focus will be to lead the user experience and user interface design of ASSISTments. The Lead Designer will support the next phase of development of a web-based educational technology application intended for millions of students and teachers, improving the future of teaching and learning. This position reports to the Director of Product while also collaborating with various departments across the organization. We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about education, has expertise in ed tech, and who enjoys working in a start-up working environment. A successful candidate will have an eye for clean and artful design and the skillset to create beautiful, intuitive, and functional user experiences. We seek candidates with strong leadership, who thrive in a start-up mode mentality and are comfortable stepping into a variety of existing initiatives while also enjoying innovation and harnessing new ideas.
We are currently a total staff of 30: approximately 15 graduate students from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and 15 ASSISTments employees.
- Collaborate with engineering team and Director of Product to assess the performance of, and diagnose issues within, the existing design of the ASSISTments learning tool.
- Develop a design strategy and roadmap for the overall ASSISTments user experience and user interface design.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, quality controls, best practices and standards.
- Take ownership of the successful execution of all ASSISTments design activities and iterate upon them in accordance with user-testing to ensure continued overall functionality.
- Represent the design scope of the work and collaborate closely with the Director of Product and Lead Engineer to ensure that design activities are aligned with business needs, organizational goals, and project schedule.
- Collaborate with engineers, educational researchers, and senior leadership to identify and develop scalable designs, and to ensure that business needs are fully understood, managed, translated to the relevant stakeholders, and achieved.
- Present on and advocate for design decisions and strategy.
- Keep yourself and the larger team updated on design trends, techniques, and technologies.
- At least 5 years of UX, UI and/or web application design experience or similar. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments
- Leadership experience in implementing best practices for design UX and UI solutions, and a deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- Ability to generate creative solutions that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks and to iterate designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently
- Project management experience to translate creative solutions into a clear and strategic plan and to oversee the successful implementation of that plan in both a supervisory and collaborative role on a team
- Ability to work cross-functionally and to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to various stakeholders
- A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns
- Strong portfolio to be presented during an interview
The ASSISTments learning tool has been in use by teachers for many years, but very recently, we’ve skyrocketed our efforts to enhance our product and expand our users while also improving their experience.
This is a full time position. If the right person resides within commuting distance of our offices at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, then they will work on campus. If this person is not local, they can be a remote employee (though the ability to visit WPI on occasion is a must). Successful candidates must possess U.S. work authorization.
Take some time to learn more about ASSISTments and then send your resume, cover letter and portfolio, if applicable to Jobs@assistments.org. We are an equal opportunity employer. We seek to maintain a highly diverse staff in an inclusive and progressive working environment.