We seek a senior-level software engineer to join our highly capable engineering team, whose current focus is on developing the future architecture of ASSISTments. The Lead Engineer will support the next phase of development of our web-based educational technology application intended for millions of students and teachers, improving the future of teaching and learning. The Lead Engineer will supervise a small team of experienced engineers and will report to the Director of Product. The role requires deep collaboration with the design team as well as various departments across the organization. We seek candidates with strong leadership skills, who thrive in a start-up mentality and are comfortable stepping into a variety of existing initiatives while also enjoying innovation and harnessing new ideas.
We are currently a total staff of 30: approximately 15 graduate students from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and 15 ASSISTments employees.
- Assess the performance of, and diagnose issues within, existing architecture of the ASSISTments learning tool.
- Develop an engineering strategy and roadmap for designing the overall ASSISTments architecture, as well as clear and efficient engineering reporting structures, work practices, and quality controls.
- Supervise and guide a small and growing team of 3 talented engineers and veteran ASSISTments team members (as well as soft supervision of several graduate students in collaboration with their advisor) to carry out responsibilities efficiently and strategically.
- Take ownership of the successful execution of all ASSISTments engineering activities and product building.
- Represent the technical scope of the work and collaborate closely with the Director of Product and Lead Designer to ensure that engineering activities are aligned with business needs, organizational goals, and project schedule.
- Collaborate with designers, engineers, educational researchers, user experience experts, and senior leadership to identify and develop scalable software designs, and to ensure that business needs are fully understood, managed, translated to the relevant stakeholders, and achieved.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Engineering / Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent)
- 5+ years of large systems web-based applications, software design, product delivery and development experience
- Strong English-language written and oral communications skills with the ability to influence others with your solutions
- Ability to generate creative solutions that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex roadblocks
- Passion for creating excellent products
The ASSISTments learning tool has been in use by teachers for many years, but very recently, we’ve skyrocketed our efforts to enhance our product and expand our users while also improving their experience.
This is a full-time position. If the right person resides within commuting distance of our offices at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, then they will work on campus. If this person is not local, they can be a remote employee (though the ability to visit WPI on occasion is a must). Successful candidates must possess U.S. work authorization.
Take some time to learn more about ASSISTments and then send your resume, cover letter and portfolio, if applicable to Jobs@assistments.org. We are an equal opportunity employer. We seek to maintain a highly diverse staff in an inclusive and progressive working environment.