Paid Opportunity: Join a Virtual Professional Learning Community this School Year
Thank you to all who signed up. This PLC is now closed. Check back for future opportunities.
We are looking for new or novice ASSISTments users to join our Virtual Professional Learning Community (PLC) during the 2020-2021 school year! The goal of the Virtual PLC is to support the effective use of ASSISTments and create community between ASSISTments users. By participating, you will:
- Join a supportive network of other ASSISTments users
- Collaborate with other middle school math teachers to better your practice
- Learn how to effectively use ASSISTments as part of your instruction
In recognition of your time and participation, you will receive an $800 stipend ($200 after the initial month, and the remaining at the end).
Below are additional details.
Am I a good candidate?
You are a great candidate for this PLC if you fit the below criteria:
- New ASSISTments user or have very limited experience using ASSISTments
- Grade 7 mathematics teacher
- Willing to assign problems from Illustrative Mathematics (Open Up Resources/Kendall Hunt) or Engage NY (Eureka Math)
- Able to assign students practice problems (e.g., independent math practice, homework, and exit tickets) through ASSISTments on a weekly basis
- Eager to grow as a math teacher and an ASSISTments user, and excited to actively participate in a learning community with other teachers
- Consistent availability this Fall on Wednesdays from 5 - 6:15 pm ET (see description of dates below )
What can I expect from this experience?
The PLC will launch in August and end in December 2020
- In August, we will ask you to complete parts 1 and 2 of ASSISTments’ virtual new user training (2 hours total). These will be offered weekly by The ASSISTments Foundation. You can choose the option that best fits your schedule or watch the recordings at your own convenience prior to the beginning of the PLC.
- You will attend one 45 minute orientation to meet your cohort, learn about the experience and the associated technology we will use for the PLC.
- You will attend eight 75 minute virtual meetings with your PLC cohort every other week over the course of 4 months (total of 10 hours). During these meetings, PLC participants, guided by expert and knowledgeable facilitators, will discuss and share ways to implement ASSISTments to support high-quality math teaching and learning
- The biweekly (every other week) Zoom sessions will happen on Wednesdays from 5:00 - 6:15 pm ET.
- If you are using Illustrative Math/OUR, your dates will be: 8/12 (45 min orientation), 8/26, 9/9, 9/23, 10/7, 10/21, 11/4, 11/18, 12/9
- If you are using Eureka/Engage, your dates will be: 8/19 (45 min orientation), 9/2, 9/16, 9/30, 10/14, 10/28, 11/11, 12/2, 12/16
- You will complete about 1 hour of asynchronous work a week
- You will answer periodic surveys about your experience and that of your students to help us improve the experience for future cohorts.
We will be in touch as soon as possible on whether or not you’ve been accepted and, if accepted, to confirm final details and your final commitment (via a signed letter of intent) to the program.